Hi there! We’re back in Mumbai, back to our home sweet home…and back to a regular diet with little space for junk! After over filling ourselves with the yummy n not so healthy Delhi food….thought it was a good idea to make something light for my kids to eat. Guess what came to my mind first………. A sandwich!!! And kids promptly said “NO”.
Then got them into a bit of storytelling on traffic rules….got them involved in making the sandwich…..and then…..what do I get to hear….. An excited YES for the traffic light sandwich!!!
Yummm! Is what they said after polishing it all off!!!
- 2 slices of Brown bread
- 1 small cucumber (peeled and sliced)
- 1 tablespoon sandwich spread
- 1 small tomato (sliced)
- ½ slice cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon mint chutney
- A pinch of pepper (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Bread circles (a few cut outs of the bread slice used above)
- Chopped tomato (left over of the above used)
- Cheddar cheese (left over of the above used slice)
- Take a slice of brown bread and cut out three small circles vertically.
- On the second slice, apply the sandwich spread evenly and place the cucumber slices. Sprinkle some salt and pepper.
- Now Place a slice of tomato (for the red light), below this, place half of the cheddar cheese (for yellow light) and below the cheese, place some mint chutney (for green light).
- Now place the first slice of brown bread on the prepared second slice such that the traffic light appears.
- Cut out the sides and place them to complete the traffic light signal, as shown in the picture.
- Place the sandwich on a serving plate and garnish.
- Place the bread circles along with tomato slices and cheddar cheese as shown in the picture.
- The traffic light sandwich is ready to serve to your little ones.
Kiddie Tip: you may also use peanut butter instead of sandwich spread for a nutty flavour.
***Preparation of mint sauce: 20 grams of mint leaves, 20 grams of fresh coriander leaves, a clove of garlic, 1 tsp fresh lemon juice, 1 tsp sugar, salt to taste and some water for saucy consistency. Blend all the ingredients in a blender to a saucy consistency. The mint sauce is ready to use. ***